The Beginning

 


I was being judged, at times dismissed
For me, everyone had a piece of advice
"Some are late bloomers, some are too shy
Not to worry, all phases pass by..."

Denial, I confess was very comforting
and how I wished that they were right!
Yet part of me was constantly looking
for missing links, for missed signs.

Then came the day doc officially told
Ground under my feet simply couldn't hold
I wept and my heart bled for my child
Why was he chosen to be some way deprived?

But soon I discovered that I was strong
and determined to connect him with the world
Though it may take long, I'd go any length
To make my perfect child's life perfect!

I had run out of tears and out of stress
He trusted me, I knew I was blessed
The differences now did hardly count
but accepting hem gave workarounds

For reaching him, knowing his mind
and as we do, fresh air we find 
I see a novel world through his eyes
So much in him to shine and rise!

Can't be weighed nor be measured
conversations with him are such a treasure
Sharing how we started winning
do watch my space, this is just beginning.

By,
Anagha Jawalekar


I had run out of tears and stress...yes literally true...

Akshat is our only son and as I mentioned in my first post that when he was officially diagnosed with Autism, till then I had no idea about its magnitude and the prognosis. It was only when my first mother child training started I came to know that it is a permanent disorder and my son has to live with it. There are no medicines to 'cure' the condition and only therapies can help him to live a productive life.

During the training, the obvious question came to my mind also, 'Why me' ....I have struggled all my life for basic happiness and now another life long struggle...I did not know how to react...whom to complaint...

Then I met my trainer, a 23-24 year old young lady, full of energy and enthusiasm. She counselled all of us in the group and made us comfortable. Looking at her, I thought if an young lady like her can work for my child so dedicatedly why can't I...after all I am the mother. The moment that thought came, I decided that I have to work for my child. I realized that it would be a journey without destination but I decided to just go on and on ...

In this journey, there were times when I feel frustrated, wanted to give up, cried like anything but again thought that if I won't do it then who will? I have to keep patience. Everything will fall in place. Sometimes I feel that it I took time to understand Akshat otherwise he has always cooperated well. It is so very important to understand the child.

Now, we are at a stage where we talk (he types in MS-Word) with each other. This feeling is really can't be weighed nor be measured. A non verbal boy expressing to his core!

Sharing one more such conversation between us...Would love to have your feedback!

10-10-20

Me. You like to listen radio a lot...

Him. yes it gives me boost to work...

Me. O...that's nice...it means it works as a motivation for you...isn't it...

Him. Yes

Me. And you do this humming also...

Him. Yes...I do it because it help me in coping stress...

Me. So, listening song is your favourite time pass...

Him. Yes...I cannot live without music



Comments

  1. Wow!! So nice to read your son Akshat's thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to know that a mode of communication is well established. Also, glad to see how technology has played a role.

    My best wishes to Akshat.

    regards,
    Dr.Sridhar
    Founder, https://EdQueries.com




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes of course Sir. Technology is a boon for us and many a times I felt that Akshat is talking to me just like any other kid. Thanks so much for your feedback.

      Delete
  3. Keep it up Aksht proud of you beta

    ReplyDelete
  4. So well expressed by Akshat . Hats off to your consistent Efforts Ritu ! I am so happy that you are able to have conversations with Akshat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderfully shared your journey..
    And Akshat is so expressive. Keep on progressing dear..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't Express my feelings and emotions in words. Only I can say is I love you a lot my dear Akshat. God bless you always with good health and loads of happiness.......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Done Akshat and mum!
    What a duo! Half journey is done already and you will pass this flying colours. Anagha your lines are the base of these writeups... Big fan!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Introduction

Experimenting with Online Classes

Coping Mechanism - By Akshat Rassay