Experimenting with Online Classes

 The Online World

That day you shared something, and made me reflect...

It was time you had your friends too.

Clever of you to pass me the hint! 

Hence with guidance, I introduced you to the world of online learning, 

and I feel it's been rewarding

Coz since then, I have watched you converse, sit for long and listen, 

I often see you extending your comfort zone and be available at different times than you'd prefer

I can sense that you are able to open up your mind there.

I hope you make bonds that last long, that recharge you time and again, connections...that enrich your life.

By, Anagha Jawalekar

It was Akshat's 18th birthday last month. It is unsinkable that he is an adult now, and I have grey hair and wear glasses now. Time flies so fast. It seems like yesterday when we went to Mumbai and Delhi for the training and did all other therapies. He had a different childhood altogether. Nevertheless, we have come a long way. It gives me a sense of achievement when he expresses himself. I feel communication solves many issues, and that is why teaching communication to a child with autism is so important.

1.     1. Communication Class

When Akshat started expressing himself, I started conversing with him on daily events. Unknowingly, these conversations helped me to know his challenges, what he feels, how he perceives, etc. In the beginning, it was more like mind reading to me, as I could not believe that he could express himself so well. To be sure, I thought he should interact with someone else also. In addition, one day, while having a conversation, I came to know that he misses friendship and needs a friend.

I searched online for NGOs that could provide a one-to-one session and put up my query on some WhatsApp groups. A fellow parent suggested Adult Support Kendra(ASK), Mumbai. ASK is run by Yash Charitable Trust and caters to the different needs of adults with autism. I contacted their counselor Suhasini and Akshat found a friend.

In April 2021, Akshat started sessions with Suhasini. This was for the first time that he was attending an online session. I was apprehensive. The session was informal, and Suhasini had to chat with Akshat. As expected, he hardly sat in the session. We had to wrap up a few sessions in the starting months just like that, without doing anything, as conversing through typing in long sentences is overwhelming for him. However, Suhasini has been very patient and always supported us. Gradually, Akshat's sitting span increased, and he started taking an interest in the session. Soon, they started having small conversations. It has been a year since then, Akshat is now attending 3 to 4 online classes. I still have to sit with him in every class, but small changes are there, for sure. Still, consistency is an issue. As he is aging, mood swings are there. But, most importantly, he is happy to have a friend.

2.    2. English Class

After the communication class with Suhasini, we tried another online class. I observed that Akshat picks up English words relatively well and can use them in context without teaching. This inherent quality of him makes his vocabulary rich. Therefore, I decided to enrol him in English classes. I asked him, and he agreed. That is how his second online class started. Luckily, his English teacher is also very accommodating and understanding. He is attending English classes for the last 7-8 months. The advantage of this class is that it happens to be at 4 pm, so he gets habitual of working at this time also otherwise, he used to sleep at this time or had in his mind that work time means only morning time.

3.    3. Social Skills Class

Besides these classes, he is attending social skills classes from Amaze Charitable Trust. The social skills program is an 8-week program to teach various social skills. One session lasts for about 1-1.5 hr. in this program. Most of the time, Akshat can now attend the session up to 1 hour, with breaks. This program is a good learning experience for him.

4.    4. MS-Paint Class

Apart from that, he has attended online classes for MS-Paint from the Amaze only. I was pleasantly surprised when he showed interest in learning graphic art. Right now, with so many online classes going on, he has taken a break from MS-Paint class.

 I had never thought that Akshat would attend an online class someday. Perhaps, his expressions gave the leads, and we reached here. It is just a milestone, and there are yet to achieve many.

Sharing a recent conversation we had, after returning from our hometown. We had been there after two years and I was nervous about how Akshat would behave as we had to attend a wedding. But it all went well. This conversation reveals how carefully we need to plan our social outings. Everything we consider social and fun is not the same for our neurodiverse children.


22-02-2022

M. So, how was your Indore trip?

A. It was superb.

M. Really! Good to know…I was quite apprehensive about your experience…

A. Oh yes it was so good.

M. Wow…Really! I’m so happy to know that…What did you like the most in the whole trip?

A. I liked the temple on the hill most.

M. Ok and any reason for that…

A. It was very peaceful.

M. Hmm…But you seemed to be anxious there…wanted to go…

A. Because my mood was volatile.

M. What does that mean?

A. It means I do not have mental capacity to manage many things in one go.

M. Hmm…I understand…But if we talk particularly about that day, we were just roaming and sightseeing…

A. Yes but by the time we reached there I was drained.

M. Hmm…I understand because we visited another place also before that…How exactly do you feel when you are mentally drained.

A. It is like falling over the pillow.

M. Ohk…It means you simply not able to feel your weight and lose all your energy…

A. Yess.

M. Hmm…Well, What helps you to regain your energy?

A. I can energize myself by music, eating and sleep.

M. Ohk…And which places or situations drains your energy?

A. Places  like marriage venues, functions in the home.

M. But you told me that you enjoyed the get together we had at our place when your friends came…

A. yes I enjoyed that but it was tiring.

M. Hmm…we need to find ways to increase your stamina…

A. Yess.

Comments

  1. What a beautiful piece you've written here, ma'am. Grateful for mentioning ASK and, about my sessions 🙏🏻
    Akshat has changed and for the better! It's a proud feeling to see him share his cinquain poems, sit for longer periods of time and to read his conversations. His insights and perspectives are something that i look forward to in our sessions. It's a journey with some bumps and aches but, it's wonderful and wholesome for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading the conversation regarding Indore trip , I can definitely relate it with me and my son's life ...your conversation and Akshat's answers helping me a lot

    ReplyDelete
  3. So,so beautifully expressed, by the end my eyes were filling up..So much to learn from both of you..God Bless my Akshat and Really proud to be your friend Ritu..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ma'am...Always appreciate your encouragement...

      Delete
  4. Wonderful. It sounds like a magic to me that Akshat can express himself so well. That must be so liberating for both of you. Mam, how have u both achieved it? Building such good vocabulary,expression and cognition for the words and everything.please guide, is there any link or a way to seek help at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Arpita...You can mail me and I will get back to you...My email id is rassayritu@gmail.com and riturassay@gmail.com

      Delete
  5. The conversation you had with Akshat is so good. How well Akshat had expressed his feelings. I am learning a lot from your conversations. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Bharthi...I am sharing these conversations here for the same reason...Hope it would help many more...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Introduction

Coping Mechanism - By Akshat Rassay