The Turning Point

The Turning Point 

On that cross road when I chose...

I knew

I had to do this...there were no two thoughts about it.

Even though it meant the end of my dreams

a young version of my mind had concluded.

As my journey became a hike.

there was no place to stop, to look back and like -

where that other soft, gravelled path led.

Neither did I realise then, that it was in me,

to challenge a mountain.

By,

Anagha Jawalekar

While doing my graduation, I enrolled myself in a computer institute (Aptech) for an one year diploma course. I was passionate about computers since my school days and wanted to do something in that. Luckily, while doing the computer course, I joined the same institute as an On Job Trainee and started my career as a Computer Instructor.

After my marriage also, I continued working in different institutes and schools as a computer instructor and loved my job. During those days, I was very aspirational regarding my job and wanted to pursue a career in Computers.

Akshat used to go in a play school when he was 2.5-3 years. But soon the psychologist who assessed him in Baroda, suggested to put him in a special school. She suggested a special school which was attached with a mainstream school. We got him admitted there and I also joined the school as a Computer teacher. We both joined the school but nothing was happening as far as Akshat's progress was concerned.

And this was the time, as I mentioned in the first post (Introduction), through a reference, we went to Mumbai and he got formally diagnosed with Autism at Ummeed Child Development Center, by Dr. Vibha Krishnamurthy.

After the diagnosis, Ummeed suggested us the 3 months mother child training program as that was the best way to learn 'How to teach Akshat'.

For this training, I had to leave my job. Not only the current job but I could see that there onwards I won't be able to do any job as I had to give maximum time to Akshat. Suddenly, life had taken a U turn. I was 30 when Akshat diagnosed with Autism at Ummeed. Whatever was happening for last two years (his therapy in Baroda, Doctor's opinion etc.), I could sense that something vastly different was going to happen which would change my life forever.  Aptech had a punchline 'We change lives' and it had a significant relation to my life.

I was sceptical regarding the training as staying three months in Mumbai alone with Akshat was not at all easy but my husband insisted for doing it and finally we decided to go for it.

Ummeed Center was in Lower Parel, Mumbai and I had to stay in a nearby area to reduce the travelling time. Commuting by locals in Mumbai is nothing less than an adventure. Well, we found a place(paying guest)  in Dadar (Dadar is near to Lower Parel). The landlady of the house allowed me to use her kitchen. That was the second positive we chose that place. My room was as big as a bathroom and I had to share the bathroom with 5-7 bachelors who were staying in the same house as paying guests. I was shocked when my cousin told me that to board a local I have to be with the wave (crowd), go into the train with that wave and come out with the wave.

That was Mumbai for us and for next three months we had to survive there alone.

Presenting one more conversation between me and Akshat....

15-9-20

Me. You took a long nap today...

Him. hmm...my body was in need of that...

Me. Ohh...Were you feeling tired?

Him. No but body needed it.

Me. I didn't get it...what's happening?

Him. My body needs rest at regular interval.

Me. Ohhk...

Him. My body is changing.

Me. Ohh...What changes are you feeling?

Him. My age is increasing. I eat spicy food. I like to be on the bed.

Me. Ok.

Comments

  1. Your perseverance has paid off and also your knowledge and positive usage of Computers.

    Dr.Sridhar,
    Founder and CEO,
    EdQueries.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sir, you can say that... Thanks for your regular feedback...

      Delete
  2. Well said on how lives and priorities can suddenly change.
    Enjoyed reading Akshat's interesting conversation

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Introduction

Experimenting with Online Classes

Coping Mechanism - By Akshat Rassay