Homeschooling - A New Beginning - 2

  Don't you worry, I am there (continued...)

Come, let's take the route

those runners passed

the meadows the valleys

the waterfalls

But taking our time

to absorb it all 

Not like a check-box

for each milestone

I know you best and want you to know

Our team will make it

work somehow...

By, Anagha Jawalekar

It won't be wrong to say that our real story began in 2014 when Akshat left the school. I had finished my M.A. in the first division, and it was such a good feeling. Now, I had a big question in front of me, how to proceed with Akshat? 

AFA's training helped to sort out the problem, and as per the learnings and my experiences till now with Akshat, I decided to focus on his ADLs and life skills. Academics was not on my priority list as it was tough for both of us to handle the pressure. 

I prepared a schedule for him and started following that schedule. To made him follow that schedule, I had to be with him, and for that, I used to finish my home chores before starting his routine. This ritual is still going on though now he's able to do many things on his own. 

So, his schedule had the ADLs flashcard that he had to pick up and do the activity. The schedule had cards of brushing, date check, make the bed, milk, exercise, breakfast, bath, prayer, lunch, and then work time. Over the years, a few changes might be there in the routine, but, grossly it has been the same. But I keep changing the activities and their time to avoid rigidity. In the evening we used to go for a walk or to the market. 

His activities were /are based on developing his typing skills, executive functioning, language, money concept, auditory processing, etc. 

In 2014, I did not have any guidance on how could I do homeschooling with my son? I did not follow any formal course or pattern for it. I don't know whether one can call it homeschooling or not. After all, what's in a name? whatever I was doing, was based on my intuition, observation about Akshat, and, above all learning experiences from both the training and I was just focussing on working with him. Nothing else was there in my mind.

Presenting yet another conversation with Akshat. In this conversation, he is revealing the importance of communication.

16-9-21

M. Your English teacher sometimes amazed to see that how do you read and answer the questions, as you do not look to the text…

A. because I read many lines together.

M. Ohk…But then how you comprehend it…I mean so much of text…

A. Yes…I can understand the meaning.

M. That’s great ! And people often ask me how I worked on your vocabulary…You have an amazing vocab at this age…

A. Oh…thanks…I can read all books.

M. Ohhk…I thought so…But then you remember the words, can relate them to situations and use them correctly in your sentences…

A. Yess…this is because intrinsic ability.

M. Oh…that’s so good to know that you are aware of your inherent qualities… Therefore, do you find reading and writing interesting…

A. Yes.         -

M. Often it is difficult for children with autism to express themselves but you are expressing yourself quite well…

A. Yess… I can express my emotions and feelings because you taught me to communicate.

M. Thanks so much Akshat! Can you tell me how this expression of your feelings and emotions helping you overall?

A. Ohh…this is miraculous…it helps me to communicate everything I am going through.

M. Bang on! So, what do you think how important is for Autistics to learn communication or having a communication medium?

A. oh it is very important to have a communication medium.

M. Yeah…I agree and it felt so good to know that communication is helping you to grow.

A. Yes.


Comments

  1. Another gem from Akshat and his mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super. I really like and agree with your pragmatic approach towards Akshat's education. Not everyone needs to go through the same formal education/curriculum. As someone has rightly said, "The purpose of education is to change mirrors into windows". By giving importance to lifeskills and communication, you have truly empowered him, made him confident and opened up a whole wide world for him to explore, self evaluate and self learn. And at the same time also introduced us to him and the intersting world inside his mind :) ..which would have been impossible otherwise. Love and best luck for the continuing journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for understanding...I think the whole education system needs to be more pragmatic and skill based...Also, fun should be the core element of the learning....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Introduction

Experimenting with Online Classes

Coping Mechanism - By Akshat Rassay