Homeschooling - Importance of Structures and Schedules

 Don't you worry , I am there (continued...)

Let us grow and learn together

Be a student for each other

In this journey that we share

You are my strength,

so I can dare

No matter what obstacles come

Many, too many, none or some

Don't you worry

'cause I am there...

Do trust me, I will take care

By, Anagha Jawalekar

Till now, I have realized that scheduling was a must for Akshat. It gives predictability to him, reduces his anxiety, and keeps him sorted. Also, in 2014 we bought our own flat and shifted there. In our new home, Akshat had his room with an attached washroom. On moving to our new home, I made sure that everything should be organized and visually predictable in Akshat's room. So, when the furniture work was going on, I instructed the carpenter to design his cupboard differently. It has extra closets and, each one was labeled to give him visual clarity and a physical structure. Because of the labels, it was easy for him to take out and keep his clothes properly and other things. In the initial days, I made a visual for what clothes he needed to take out before taking a bath (attaching a pic of it) and stuck it on the cupboard's inner side of the door. Once he learned that, I faded out the visuals.


Similarly, We installed a whiteboard and a notice board in his room to stick social stories, calendar, and other emergency notices.

The Delhi training was based on TEACCH (Training and Education of Autistic and related Communication-handicapped Children) methodology, which emphasized physical structure, schedules, work systems, routines, and visual strategies. 

When I applied these tools with Akshat, I could see the change. He is now better organized in his work because of following a schedule. As I mentioned in the last post, to avoid rigidity in the schedule, I use to change his activity. For example, if he has a tabletop activity at 11 am on Monday, then on Tuesday, he will have a ball play at 11 am. So, I tried to make him as flexible as possible. However, he has his own choices now.

Work systems helped tremendously in guiding functional activities like cutting veggies, folding clothes, etc. though I have not used any visuals for these activities.

As we all know that autistics are visual learners, visual strategies are great tools to explain a new concept, deal with any behavioral or sensory issue. I used it with Akshat for explaining many things. For example, he had a habit of eating lotions, iodex, coconut oil, etc. It was because of the strong smell of the different items. I took pictures of all the objects and put a big red cross on them and pasted them on the cupboard in his room. It is still there on the cupboard's door. Over time, with constant OT, explanation, and visuals, he got the concept and now doesn't eat anything of them if kept in front of him. 

Yesterday only, I made another visual about when he can access youtube on mobile (attaching a pic of it) following a discussion with him, to which he agreed and followed too.

So, with all my experience, I can say that these tools helped me a lot in training Akshat well. To date, he follows a schedule and is able to manage most of the activities independently with some supervision.

Presenting a thought provoking conversation between Akshat and me. This conversation is so important for me and helped me to understand him better and give me a chance how I can help and support him...

7-10-21

Me. Do you remember what happened yesterday night…

Him. yes.

Me. Okay...what happened...

Him. I had aggression and behave violently.

Me. How do you know that you were violent…

Him. Because I was snatching hair.

Me. Whose hair…

Him. Yours.

Me. Hmm…So whatever you were doing was correct?

Him. No.

M. So, if you knew that whatever you were doing was not correct then why you did that…Apart from others, this kind of behaviour is dangerous for yourself…

Him. I was not in control of my mind.

Me. Ohhk…make sense…so what do you think what can you do to regulate your emotions…after all we should be the master of our brain, not brain should master us…

Him. Ok…I think I fear I will lose whatever I like.

Me. Ohh…But does that ever happened…

Him. No.

Me. Good…Then you need not to worry but tell me, what are those precious things, which you think you will lose…

Him.  mobile.

Me. Oh man! don’t rely on something too much that you will lose your sanity.. Mobile is just a small thing. You can engage yourself in other activities too…

Him. No it is my life.

Me. Hmm…You are talking about youtube I guess…Isn’t it ?

Him. Yes.

Me. Hmm…But you can watch songs on TV also…

Him. It does not have same effect.

Me. Hmm…what if you watch youtube alternate days for half an hour…

Him. Ok.

Me. Ok… Done…we will use a timer and visual schedule for this…

Him. Ok


Comments

  1. This is amazing, and Ritu your efforts, painstakingly looking into each and every aspect of Akshat from designing furniture to the shedule..hats off girl.. I am so, so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off mobile for some time, is a good choice Akshat. I have to learn from him, how to stick to schedules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing. Great learning as always from Akshat. Thank you Akshat for sharing your fears. It gives me a good understanding after reading your explanation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visuals make learning efficient ... Great job Ritu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all... I am also learning so much in the process...Akshat's insights giving me a totally new perspective and make me think everyday that if explored, possibilities and opportunities are definitely there...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Introduction

Experimenting with Online Classes

Coping Mechanism - By Akshat Rassay