Developing Typing and Expressive Skills

 Parallax (Akshat's viewpoint)

I know what I want to pick

out of all the odd things

arranged in front of me...

and in front of you.

You can see it too

as clear as if

it shouts out its name

"Here I am, just pick me up!"

'Go for it,' you encourage

so I pick it up, only except

it's not the same thing

and it's not even what

I intended to pick

On your turn though

the pointer shifts back

to correct place

and you pick the very thing

As if we are looking at

the same set of things

from a different space each.

By, Anagha Jawlekar

1.    VISUAL PERCEPTION 


When I found out that visual perception could improve Akshat's typing skills, I worked on it thoroughly for 4-5 months. I used picture cards, blocks, tangram puzzles, odd-one-out puzzles with pictures and alphabets, etc., to do different activities. Initially, I did simple ones to engage him and gradually increased the complexity. Nowadays, ample resources are available on the internet for visual perception and, I have come across many younger moms who are super creative in generating ideas.

 2.    WORKING ACCORDING TO HIS INTERESTS

 Once Akshat picked up the typing, I started doing small comprehension exercises with him based on his interests. Since he is a foodie, I prepared comprehensions based on his favourite foods. Simultaneously, I made him practice typing one-line sentences, short paragraphs, etc. Until that time, I was focussing on typing. 

Akshat is also fond of songs. He loves to hear, rather watch songs on YouTube and TV. Like many other autistic kids, he also watches particular song infinite times. Suddenly, one day it struck me that if he listens and watches a song this much, he must understand something out of it. So, why not ask him about the songs. Therefore, I asked him about a song and to my surprise, he answered me. That is how our communication and his elaborate expression started. However, his typing speed was slow.

 3.    USING THE RESOURCES

 Apart from working on his interests, I started working on the resources, which I had. I am grateful (and I think most of the parents of the autism fraternity would be) to Mr. Swaminathan (father of an adult with autism), who created a resource group on Facebook and later on WhatsApp to collect the books on autism. Many parents in the fraternity are using and benefitting from the resources. The resources (books) helped me work on Akshat's language skills.

 4.    USING THE EDUCATIONAL SOFTWARE – EDQUERIES

 During that time, Ms. Simmi Vasu suggested an educational software, EdQueries, specially designed for children with special needs. EdQueries has a user-friendly interface that a neurodiverse can pick up easily, and the concepts are explained in a fun way. We used it for some months, and Akshat improved, especially in English.

  5.    LEARNING NEVER ENDS

 The year 2020 was unprecedented in so many ways. Due to the pandemic, lockdown happened. Akshat was anyways learning at home for the past few years but due to the lockdown, even stepping out of the house became impossible. However, there is always a ray of light in the dome of darkness. A series of online classes started, and it changed the pattern of learning for everyone and I also got a chance to do some short-term courses and attend webinars to upgrade myself.

 In all, the year 2020 proved to be very fruitful for both of us.


 6.    EXPERT'S VIEW

 I would like to share here Ms. Simmi Vasu's thoughts about Akshat....

 Akshat gave me the rare privilege of understanding Autism as a person with Autism. It's not how experts or parents in the field feel or assume. It's Akshat, himself speaking his heart out. Mind you it is an honest, sometimes on your face view, but it's the truth and there are no gray shades.

When we  all started this journey, both Ritu and I were not even sure where this would lead us to? Will he be able to communicate even his basic needs? In fact that was our basic goal. Slowly, I with my understanding and Ritu with her efforts, started chalking out each step. From simple "wh" questions, picture description, visual perception activities to computer typing skills the list is endless. Akshat was our guide throughout, we just followed his cues.
Today it's heart warming to see how well he states his feelings, opinions, surprisingly surpassing all our expectations.
We know there are many more milestones to be achieved, but Akshat is a true Guru, a guide who gently but firmly guides us to see the world as he sees it and to accept him as he is. I am really really proud to be a part of this journey and I am all the more thankful to Akshat and Ritu that they have made me a better teacher..


Blessings to Both of You.. 

Simmi Vasu

Principal, Orane Kids School

Noida

Comments

  1. Wonderful to read about yours and Akshat's journey. I have read the conversations you have had with Akshat, that you have shared in this blog. Its really a pleasure to read his views, thoughts and sharings. And it helps us understand Autism better

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Bharthi... I am also learning and trying to understand Akshat more through his revelations...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Introduction

Experimenting with Online Classes

Coping Mechanism - By Akshat Rassay