Learning Advanced Life Skills - Experiences of Dental Treatment



30-5-22

Visit to the dentist

Courage is all you need

To beat the challenge

Mood causes the irritation

That very sensitive inner hot tooth

How much valour it needed

yes the courage is all you need. 

By, Akshat Rassay

In the last post, I shared how I am trying to build resilience in Akshat. The work is still in progress and it will take time to reach anywhere.

I realised that with age he needs to learn advance life skills like seeing a doctor, hospitalization, blood test, dealing with a sudden change etc. Amaze’s intermediate social skill program taught some of these topics and I envision that it is the time to work on these skills.

I have serious gum issues and dentist says that it could be congenital or genetic. Therefore, I was already concerned about Akshat’s oral hygiene and when the topic was discussed in the Amaze’s social skill program, I got the courage and decided to try for a dental check-up for Akshat. The plaque had already started accumulating in his front lower teeth.

Fatefully, I found a dentist near to our house who was a paediatric dentist; also treats children with special needs. I went to meet her first and explained everything about Akshat. The dentist was very understanding and asked me to bring Akshat to meet her.

In the next meeting, she showed her clinic to Akshat, made him comfortable, and just examined his teeth. She also showed him all her tools, chair, and explained him the procedure (scaling) that she will be going to do with him. She was friendly, calm, cooperative and patient while talking to Akshat.

Now the next big thing was to prepare Akshat for the scaling. He had an idea about the procedure. I showed him videos on youtube but he was scared and anxious. When I took him for the first scaling session, he sat on the chair but did not allow the doctor to do anything. We had to come back without doing anything.

The second sitting also went almost like the first one. He sat on the chair, saw the tools, listen to the doctor carefully but did not allow her to do the cleaning. She tried to insert the scaler in his mouth but he took it out. We could not force him in anyway.

 I asked the doctor if there is any tool like scaler available, so that I can practice with Akshat at home. Then, she suggested me the water flosser. I immediately ordered it and started practicing with it at home.

With a few initial hiccups, he was used to with water flosser and allowed me to put it in his mouth. Every day, we used to use it on a count basis and as he became habitual, I increased the counts.

 Along with the use of water flosser, every day, I used to tell him that how strong he is becoming day by day that he is allowing me to put flosser in his mouth, bearing the water pressure( its pressure is really too much). Also, facing his fear and trying to overcome it.

His dental procedure was a good opportunity for me to build his mental strength.

He practiced with the water flosser for almost a week and then we took the appointment again. In his third session, he was a bit prepared. He allowed the doctor to do the scaling. I counted until 10(in breaks) and then she stopped. However, major work done, as his plaque was not too much.

After a week, we went for another session and he sat peacefully. This time, I counted until 20 and he allowed the doctor to do her work in a better way.

I had never thought of that I would be able to take him to a dentist. But, with Amaze’s program, I realised its importance at the right time and by god’s grace got a doctor who was cooperative, understanding and supportive.

It took two months to finish the procedure. Every time I took appointment after a gap of one week so that I could prepare Akshat for the procedure properly.

Akshat’s dental treatment is a learning experience and an achievement for both of us. I think he needs to learn many more such advanced life skills...

Today, I am sharing two conversations. First one was held after the second appointment with the dentist in which she tried to do the scaling but Akshat was so anxious that she could not do much.

21/4/22

M. Yesterday you didn’t get ready for teeth cleaning at the dental clinic…what happened…

A. I was trying but very terrified by the machine.

M. But the doctor was constantly assuring you that nothing is going to happen…she gave you a demo on your nails that how that machine works…

A. I know but it was not working.

M. Then what can we do as scaling is necessary otherwise your teeth will get worse and the treatment in that case may be more complicated…

A. please give me time.

M. Ok…next appointment is on Monday…3 days to go…will that much time is enough…

A. Yes.

M. Take your time...Prepare yourself…Nothing is going to happen…It is just a matter of 10 mins…

A. Ok.

And today we had another conversation on the same topic. Observe the change...

27-6-22

M. It has been almost 10-15 days to your dental treatment…You successfully completed it and got your teeth cleaned…How are you feeling…

A. this is doable.

M. I didn’t get it…

A. Oh..i mean to say that it was not that panicky.

M. Okhh… But in the beginning, you were scared and anxious…

A. Yes.

M. Hmm…Then how this change happened…

A. you made it possible.

M. Hmm…But your willingness and courage was more important…Without it, it couldn’t be possible…

A. Yes.

M. So, what’s your experience or learning from this treatment…

A. the learning is that I can try challenging task.

M. yes, you can…

A. Yes.




Comments

  1. This is such a beautiful account of the event and all the hard work and determination that went in is so commendable. I could imagine all the scenes through your words although in the end I saw that there was a video too. Conversations before and after are so perfect... the icing on the cake as always. Lovely to see Akshat's poem opening your blog. Keep writing, there is so much inspiration to look forward to in your blogs. And well done to Akshat for crossing that bridge - visit to a dentist can be herculean task for anyone. Keep it up!👏✌️💪👍
    Anagha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Anagha for your motivating words... It is a pleasant surprise to see your comment here... Who else better than you can understand it as you have written most of the opening poems for the blog and hence become a co-traveller in our journey... You know everything inside out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ritu, your patience and efforts are commendable. Hat's off. Best wishes for u both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Conversation between both of you gives so much hope and courage and I salute Akshat for making statement that he can try challenges .. Ritu ma'am even after so many years , you still keep moving forward , trying new goals , inspiring others .. God bless you both

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Pratiksha...Mums like you keep me going...Love you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Introduction

Experimenting with Online Classes

Coping Mechanism - By Akshat Rassay