Self Advocacy - By Akshat Rassay

Image by: Akshat Rassay

 What next? That is what I was thinking when Akshat finished writing few poems for an online competition, last month. I had couple of topics in mind and I thought, let me ask him if he is willing to try any of them. I asked him if he would like to write something on 'Self-Advocacy' and pat came the answer, 'Yes'. I didn't expected it as I had no idea about his understanding on the topic. However, every time, the remarkable changes in his mindset, behaviour, confidence, and thoughts proves me wrong. 

It is a feeling of content (and a little pride) for me, to see him growing as a mature, sensible and thoughtful person. As an adult with autism, he has his unique goals and aspirations, and I want to encourage him to pursue them as much as possible. Taking pride in his accomplishments, big or small, always provide me enormous joy.

First time, as he writes for 'Self-Advocacy', I also stand by his side, supporting him, advocating for him and cheering for him as he is the one who taught me the meaning of unconditional love and acceptance.

May he empower himself to face the world with strength and resilience!


Self Advocacy

Akshat Rassay

Self-advocacy is thinking, feeling, speaking and standing for yourself. It is important to convey your thoughts, views, needs with an assertive voice. An individual can express himself by putting his choices, preferences, opinions and needs. Self-advocacy is important to let the world know your perspective. For me, my sensory preferences and feelings are very important. My weakness don’t come in my way but they prepare me to be mindful.

For me, doing some work depend on my interest. So, the work like balance is very important. It means do whatever you like as far as mind allows. This is an integral part of my self-advocacy.

Comments

  1. It's so heartening to read the thoughts of akshat.. you are truly an inspiration Ritu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Akshat, your weakness don't come in your way, because you are mindful. Great insight. It is a difficult thing to do. Loved your image too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is brilliant! Simply superb... loved reading. Fantastic image too. Way to go, Akshat! 👏😊
    Anagha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Introduction

Experimenting with Online Classes

Coping Mechanism - By Akshat Rassay