Open Mic Event

 Hello Readers!


It's been a while since we last connected, and today I found myself reflecting on a poster my husband put up on his cupboard years ago. The poster carried a simple yet powerful message: "There's always an opportunity in a challenge." At the time, I didn't give it much thought, but now its meaning deeply resonates with me.

On Sunday, 8th September, Akshat had the opportunity to participate in an open mic event organized by Nirbhikta, Vadodara. It was a mainstream event, open to all, where participants could perform monologues, stand-up comedy, poetry, and more. When I first saw the flyer, I immediately thought that this could be a wonderful chance for Akshat to connect with neurotypicals and vice versa - a platform for inclusion and to create awareness. Without giving it a second thought, we applied for Akshat's participation.

Watching Akshat stand alongside his peers, young people his age, was an incredibly emotional moment for me. I felt such pride and gratitude, seeing him embraced as an equal among them. I am especially thankful to the organizers for their love and support and for bringing up such a platform. It is because of people like them that inclusion truly feels possible.

Although, I didn't get a chance to ask how Akshat's fellow participants felt after meeting him, what matters most is that he was given the platform and space to be seen, heard, and included.

Sharing Akshat's experiences of the event, his poem, and a few pics...

Bye,

Ritu

9-9-24

Last Sunday, I participated in an open mic event and presented my poem. My mom recited the poem on my behalf.

It was wonderful to experience something like that. People were appreciative of my efforts. The venue was sensorily overwhelming because of the smell of others. It was a strong smell of people’s deo and perfumes. It was difficult for me to bear the smell. Other than that, the ambiance and atmosphere were joyous. I was interested in listening to the participants who would sing but could not sit due to my smell issue.

Two years back, I attended a social function in Indore but I think in that function, the food’s smell was dominating due to which I sat there. In addition, I was willing to attend.

At Sunday’s function, the smell and a feeling of anxiety stopped me from sitting back. I am interested in socializing but need to revise my calming strategies.

Besides the sensory part, I was so deeply motivated by the thoughtfulness of the organizers. They supported me with open arms. It was an extraordinary experience.

Akshat Rassay








 

Comments

Popular Posts

Introduction

Experimenting with Online Classes

Coping Mechanism - By Akshat Rassay